Friday, October 23, 2009

Tales of Two Richards.

RICHARD GUTIEREZ.
My neighbor Pete (in the photo) gave me this Zorro Poster. But my love affair with Coke Posters did not start there... It started several weeks before that...

The first time I saw this ZORRO Poster of Richard Gutierrez for Coke Zero was on August 2009, along the National Highway in San Pedro Laguna. I was on my way to a fellow Artist living in this old town for a project (will tell you about this project sometime in the future, coz it also involves Coke!).

I already started my Coke collecting then but the reason why this “encounter” with Zorro a special one is because that was the turning point when I finally decided to include Print Ads to my Coke Collection (I only collect Bottles and Glasses then).

I find this Zorro poster different. Maybe the right term is “it’s a novelty”, seeing Zorro holding Zero (coke zero). With that decision, I also realized I missed the other unique Coke posters (the Angel and the Mermaid) but I am confident that in the future, I will also get a copy of these two.

Right now, I have 3 copies of this Zorro poster. Two of which I got from stores in public market, while the other one was given by Pete, a neighbor who owns a Sari-sari store inside the subdivision (that’s him in the picture holding a Zorro poster1. 0/21/09).


RICHARD GOMEZ.
This story happened October 5, 2009, a week after the typhoon Ondoy flooded my Parents’ house (more that 6 feet inside our home!) in Pasay City. I discovered this long forgotten magazine Ad underneath the clothes, as it serves as a mat to protect the clothes against the wood’s dust and smell. It was a pleasant surprise ‘coz I had no recollection that Richard had a Diet Coke Advertisement.

2 comments: