Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It all started with a BOTTLE (the gods must be crazy!)

I seriously started my COKE Collection July 11, 2009.

Prior to that, the items I had, mostly Coke contour glasses, were freebies that I mindlessly availed from some local promos. My very first actual purchase was an unopened 1994 Commemorative (Santa Claus) Coke Bottle from the US. I bought it at P120 in the Talipapa flea market in Evangelista Street, Makati City. Since my collecting is still on-going, I would NOT say “and the rest is history” but history is still unfolding..!

Perhaps the world’s most recognizable label (even if one can’t real, he can probably still “read” the word Coca-cola). It has that certain attraction to the eyes – you can spot it even in a crowded market or a busy street. Even in a row of Carinderias or Sari-sari stores on national highways, the Coke sign always stand out and easily recognized.

For five months now, I’ve already amass a number of coke items (bottles, stuff toys, posters, drinking glasses, etc) with little stories behind each one of them – some serious, some are funny, some are surprising (like finding a 1990 Coke Ad of Richard Gomez, hidden inside the cabinet, used as a mat for clothes, during the time typhoon Ondoy), and few are heart breaking (like finding a rare Angel Coke poster in a small bakery but the cashier refused to give the poster away, only to be replaced by a new poster that same day and that rare opportunity to own that poster is lost forever! Sigh! Sad talaga!).

Yes, the reward of finally getting the item is sweet but it’s the memories behind it are even sweeter… and bitter-sweet if I failed to get it.

Posters fade. Bottles and glasses break. Plastics may stretch or may shrink over time. Toys we will outgrow. But the memories behind them we will always cherish.


Join me in my adventure in pursuing this most famous cola bottle! Watch me go gaga over this red & white, and sometimes black & gray (coke zero) label.

It’s the REAL Thing. This is it, so let’s open HAPPINESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment